WECHS RttT Professional Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible Course Sequencing Options

+2
Admin
micwilliams
6 posters

Go down

Possible Course Sequencing Options Empty Possible Course Sequencing Options

Post  micwilliams Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:49 am

So, I'm interested in getting the Social Studies community's thoughts on course sequencing. We have been looking into options since the spring. I even called DPI to get their thoughts on it, as well. This weekend, I checked out the DPI website and saw this...

ncpublicschools.org/docs/acre/standards/support-tools/sequencing/social-studies/high-school.pdf

Option 2 is the route that I am interested in.

Note: As a new member, I can't post external links for 7 days, so I cut off the http "stuff."

micwilliams
micwilliams

Back to top Go down

Possible Course Sequencing Options Empty Sequencing Link

Post  Admin Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:51 am

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://wechsrttp.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Possible Course Sequencing Options Empty SS Sequencing Thoughts

Post  Admin Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:04 pm

I think option 2 makes a lot of sense. I especially like the idea of seniors taking C&E and having the ability to engage more actively in their government. The great unknown is assessment....obviously, we'll all strive for the most strategic sequence possible.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Possible Course Sequencing Options Empty Re: Possible Course Sequencing Options

Post  kpeoples Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:08 pm

I agree. To me the second option seems the best fit. Civics as a senior class allows for more "real world" involvement, i.e. students are able to vote, are getting jobs, etc. They seem more able to connect with the concepts learned in Civics and Economics.

kpeoples

Back to top Go down

Post  micwilliams Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:12 pm

I agree. I just feel that the seniors are more vested in and have a better understanding of civics and government than the underclassmen. Also, I think the personal financial literacy will be more relevant for our soon-to-be college students.
micwilliams
micwilliams

Back to top Go down

Possible Course Sequencing Options Empty World History/ELA

Post  Admin Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:26 pm

I also think that from a SS perspective, it makes sense to have World History precede U.S. History. It would be ideal to figure out where the history standards overlap with ELA. Right now, it's hard to tell because ELA standards are still extremely broad (Grades 9-10 do this; Grades 11-12 do that).
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jfullen Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:30 pm

Just to play devil's advocate...at WECHS we have lots of students who already have jobs in their 10th and 11th grade years and are already taking college classes by that time as well. Considering how many of our students may also have increased responsibilities outside of the classroom, would it be an injustice to withhold pertinent information (i.e. financial literacy, civil liberties, etc.) until their last year in H.S. when they are 18?

I certainly understand how a lot of the information taught in C&E may be more directly related to an older student, i.e. one who is 18 years old and can vote, but considering how important this information is, should we be giving it to the students earlier in their lives? Or are we afraid that they'll just forget it and be unprepared 2 years later when they graduate?
jfullen
jfullen

Back to top Go down

Post  kpeoples Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:39 pm

I can say that at New Tech we are teaching personal finance in 10th grade Intro to Business. As for civil liberties this comes up a lot in the World History class. It is just my opinion that we can still help students develop while postponing Civics until senior year.

kpeoples

Back to top Go down

Possible Course Sequencing Options Empty Sequencing Option?

Post  Admin Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:40 pm

So what would be your suggestion for sequencing, JF?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jfullen Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:49 pm

the intro to business course sounds very interesting - I think we have something like that at WECHS, but I am not 100% sure of what the course content consists of.

If I had to vote, I would probably vote for option 2, and I am certainly biased as a C&E teacher, the thought of teaching the course to 12th graders with higher skill levels and higher background knowledge is very exciting, considering how much more in-depth and higher the course thinking and discussions could go.

I just wanted to make sure all options are being considered from all angles Smile
jfullen
jfullen

Back to top Go down

Post  micwilliams Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:53 pm

JF, I agree with you 100 percent. I am biased as well as a C&E teacher. I'm just trying to figure out how to make the US 1 & US 2 work with World and C&E.
micwilliams
micwilliams

Back to top Go down

Possible Course Sequencing Options Empty I agree!

Post  dhundley Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:19 pm

Option 2 makes a lot of sense to me. C/E would be more applicable as students reach the voting age and see themselves in the real world.

dhundley

Back to top Go down

Post  mcopeland Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:58 pm

I think option 2 looks fine, but I think there is something to be said for Jason's first suggestion of having C&E earlier, given how many of our students have jobs, drive and own cars, and have more responsibilities that lead to a need of personal financial literacy and knowing their rights (which may or may not be covered in other classes), even if they can't vote yet. Focusing too much on voting, and therefore C&E being effective only for 18 year olds, might short-change some of our students who could benefit from the vital info and skills of the course being presented earlier, like option 1 presents. Of course, all of this is so subject to change given assessment and the other concerns from transitioning, but there's something to be said for staying mentally flexible as we zero in on our options.

mcopeland

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum